Crous St Martin is located in the north-east of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation.
The origin dates from 1879 which coincides with the restauration of St Martin’s Cross (“Crous” in local provincial language), which the monks had installed to indicate the road to Châteauneuf. St Martin is considered the messenger of civic rights and sharing. An allusion was already made at sharing wine, by integrating the shape of a bottle in the Cross itself….
1879 was also the year when many clerical estates were put up for sale, in a more liberal republican political environment. Many private estates got established. 1879 also appeared to be a great vintage for wine. Raisons for our wine to be named « Hommage à l’an 1879 »